I was able to migrate over the basic text of content from several previous blogs. I now have most of it published again and available. Still on the to-so list:
- Manually bring over some content that did not migrate for some reason. (UPDATE 11/24/2015: COMPLETE! Some still unpublished due to rigorous cleanup.)
- Fix a bunch of images that didn’t migrate over correctly (UPDATE 11/27/2015: 95% COMPLETE! Some photos still missing and posts may be deleted.)
- Correct image file names because I am OCD about such things.
- Updated ALT tags and image metadata, also for OCD reasons. Plus, 508 compliance is nice.
- Fix a bunch of broken BBCODE tags and HTML tags.
- Find and re-upload a bunch of images and media that did not get picked up.
- Go back and proofread all posts for broken links and content that may have moved or no longer be available.
Why Bother? I don’t know that I have a great answer to that question. I really just wanted to brush up on my web CMS and WordPress skills and try to be a little more in-touch with the programming involved, especially data migration.
I also figured that there are still a lot of links and references that point back to many of my old blogs and posts so I might as well leave them up for posterity. Someone may want to reference some of them. I admit that a lot of them are personal topics and there are a lot of outdated announcements from past projects that probably aren’t useful anymore. There are, however, some old posts that actually have some useful content or good references that I occasionally find useful myself so I thought maybe let the interwebs have them back in case someone else finds them useful as well.